Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Au Revoir, Paris!

As I sit in the airport waiting for my flight, I am reflecting on all that I learned this summer in Paris. From the low points, to the funny memories, to the moments of wisdom, I have collected a genuine abundance of experiences over the past several weeks. 

Of course, I gained so much educational insight and knowledge from my TEFL course. I understand how to better prepare, manage, and adapt lesson plans. I learned new skills and tips from many experienced educators. My instructor, Anton, put us authentic classroom situations that helped broaden our boundaries and comfort zones. I expected this course to simply be a brush up on all that I learned in college and my time in Tanzania. I was surprised when the course offered so much more than my expectations. 

Through this course, my instructor, my classmates, and even my students, I also gained a lot of life lessons. I met many people who came to France for some temporary reason or another, ended up falling in love with the culture, and simply didn't return home. Based on my current onset of depression, I understand how this decision can be made so easily. I spent my summer here earning a certification to teach English overseas. What is the point if I'm not putting this hard earned knowledge to use?! Another one of my peers is an established French teacher in the states. She left her husband and eight year old twins for the summer while she studied in Paris. She is actually in the process of making the decision to bring her family back for an entire year. If a woman with a family can make it work, what is everyone else's excuse?? What's my excuse to not dedicate a year or more to a foreign project? 

Finally, the last lesson I've learned is one most people are familiar with: "Fake it 'til you make it." As a foreigner, I have often felt out of place and awkward due to my lack of direction, language, and culture. However, I got lost and stuttered my broken French with a smile, hoping I would come off nonchalant. I was just starting to see my version of "faking it" paying off. Twice in the last week, I had two people stop and ask me for directions in French. Now, all of my Parisian friends know my French is... very elementary... at best. So, I did my best to play it off like a local and pointed the wanderers in the right direction. On another occasion, I eavesdropped on a group of English girls getting confused on the metro. I was able to jump in and explain what they needed to know. After receiving their comments of gratitude, I thought, Wow, I'm making it! 


So, for all of these reasons, I've decided I will be back to Paris. I don't know when or for how long, but I'm hoping at some point during my youth I will truly be able to call Paris my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment